Buon Anno 2020! This is one of my favourite times of the year, a season of renewal and hope, getting ready for the coming green of spring. The days start to get longer and while there are still a few months of winter, we have so much forward to look forward to.
Last New Year’s there were some things of 2018 that I wanted to leave behind – a job and a bad friendship, but this year I don’t feel like there’s anything that’s pressing on my mind that I need to shed.
Maybe it’s because it’s the start of a new decade and I’m proud of all things I accomplished these past 10 years. I started 2010 living in Rome with the anxiety of changing immigration laws and not sure if I was going to be able to stay in Italy and I ended the decade with moving back here and living in the place that I love feels like home.
So for this year what I feel is hope as I recover from surgery and excitement for all the things I want to do this year.
- Continue to read more Italian women writers such as post-war writers such as Natalia Ginzburg, Elsa Morante, Anna Maria Ortese and contemporary writers like Veronica Raimo, Helena Janaczek and Claudia Durastante.
- Explore Napoli – see more theatre there as the theatre in Napoli is a world of its own
- Control my phone use and only use it at certain times a day (so so so hard, but so so so important)
- Write more in Italian – if not whole stories or blog posts, try writing smaller bits and have someone else read them to correct.
- Take an Italian language course or literature course. One of the reasons I loved getting my driver’s license last year was taking the theory classes. I felt like I was back in school and I loved taking a class in Italian.
What are your resolutions?
I wish you all a splendid and happy New Year and buon anno 2020. I’ve received so many lovely emails and comments from you this year and I’m looking forward to hearing from you this year.